Friday, June 18, 2010

steep descent (the first post)


When you find out you’re having twins your world gets turned upside down. Everything changes. All the family planning goes out of the window as you bare down into a nine-month, white-knuckled free fall into parenthood. Now you need four name ideas, you need to scrap the financial plan and start over—you need to double everything.
That was our mode of operation for about twenty-two weeks. Full out, high energy registering, baby sale shopping, night birthing classes… the whole nine yards. My wife was looking more and more pregnant everyday and I was feeling more and more fatherly. I was on a lunch break, pulling into the bank parking lot, when I received a call from my wife. She started crying. And those were the first tears of an emotional roller-coaster that we’re still on. 
And this post is the first of many that will not only tell the story of my sweet boys, Asher and Evan, but will hopefully inspire other grieving fathers to share their stories as well. 

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jason - I'm really glad you're doing this. This is a really special use of your experience. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We lost our twin boys in April. I understand your pain, and I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for starting this blog. I am going to share it with my husband. Hugs to you and your family.
    -Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just lost our twin boys on Monday....it's all still so raw and painful.

    http://www.dazeddad.com/2010/10/27/october-25/

    I'm looking for other fathers who have gone thru this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adam, I'm so sorry to hear that. The key is to remember that there are others who have been through this awful experience that seems impossible to get through. Please send me a note anytime through this blog and check out some of the other blogs I've listed. Again, I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete